Yep, it’s that time of year when everything is black and orange and I pretend I’m braver than I actually am. I’m a wuss. A total wuss who can’t deal with horror. I have overactive dreams for all the rest of the year, why would I want to add to the madness?
Anyway not being a complete wuss I don’t mind Zombies. In fact, they inspire many fancy dress parties for me. I mean check out the hot undead babe below…(ok I was on a student budget, I’m no extra for Walking Dead)
So when my auntie gave me a zombie cookie cutter for Christmas last year, I knew I wanted to save it for Halloween and to use it for its true season of spookiness. Time to get gory.
- 2 cups Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Caster Sugar
- 1 Medium Free Range Egg
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 cups Plain Flour
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- lots of Icing Sugar
- Lots of Artificial Food Colours
- Oven to 170C. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy and pale. Add the egg and vanilla and beat in.
- Mix in the flour and baking powder until a dough forms. Turn out on to a well-floured work surface. Roll between two large pieces of parchment paper to 1/4" to 3/8" thick and cut into the undead! Remove some heads and arms on some of them.
- Place on a parchment covered trays and place in the freezer for 5 minutes as this will help to keep the shape.
- Bake for 10- 14 mins depending on the size, cool for a few minutes on the tray before transfer to a cooling rack.
- While they are cooling, in separate bowls mix roughly 75g of icing sugar with an artificial food colour with a small splash of water and mix till you have a thick paste. Scoop into a plain piping bag and using a food tie secure the top. Continue making up all the colours you want and when ready snip a small end of the bag so you have a fine line of icing to work with.
- Bring your cookies to LIFE with the icing and get creative!
Save this article to Pinterest, pin the below image!