It has been said many times on this blog that I am not refine. I don’t make delicately decorated cookies or fairy cakes. I make Filthy Oreo Pancakes, Buffalo Chicken Wings and Peanut Butter and Nutella Brownies.
So we reached an all time low in our flat when our baking session took a turn and the bacon came out with the peanut butter. That’s right. You heard me right. Now you’re intrigued.
This all started back when I got a copy of Joy the Baker’s cookery book. And this recipe stuck out as well as a couple of dozen more. I mean who puts bacon with peanut butter? A genius that’s who. This recipe might freak out some people but I really urge you to try it out. Because you know what it works. Salty, meaty, smokey bacon with the creamy, crunchy, salty peanut butter in cookie form. Damn. Add dark rich chocolate chips to that and you’re on to a winner. Joy’s version didn’t have the chocolate in it but just like bacon, everything is better with chocolate.
Go on embrace your trashy side and give it a go! You won’t look back.
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar, ( half brown sugar, other half caster sugar)
- 1 free range egg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 6 slices of streaky bacon, cooked until crisp, cooled and crumbled
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate drops
- Cook the bacon in a frying pan until crispy and golden. Drain on kitchen towel, cool and crumble. Set aside.
- Oven to 175C. In a stand mixer, mix the peanut butter and sugars until well combined. Add the egg and baking soda and mix for another 2 minutes.
- Fold in the cooked bacon and the chocolate chips, roll tablespoon’s of the mixture and spread out the doughballs over two baking trays as they will spread slightly.
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden. Cool slightly before eating the whole tray.