We’re going down Mexican way for today’s chicken wing recipe. The ingredient list seems a bit long for a simple chicken wing sauce recipe, but trust me this mole sauce will be well worth the pottering around the kitchen collecting up all the ingredients for. This a rich spiced tomato based sauce, laced with smoky fiery chilli, richness from a touch of cocoa powder and some secret crunchy peanut butter for some nutty buttery undertone. Don’t fret the cocoa powder, peanut butter and raisins won’t make the sauce too sweet but will work with the savouriness of the deliciously golden crisp oven baked chicken wings. You can thin down the sauce with more stock but I like a thick coating of sauce to cling to the wings. ‘Ola!
Serves 4 people or 1 very greedy wing lover!
- 1kg chicken wings (wing tip removed but wings parts kept together)
- 100g plain flour, with a pinch of salt and crushed black pepper
- 250g white onion, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic puree
- 1 ½ tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 ½ tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- A pinch of ground cloves
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp peanut butter (crunchy!)
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 250g can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to the hottest temperature, normally 240C.
- Lightly coat the wings in the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess. Set the wings skin down on a rack in a foil lined roasting tin, so the heat can circulate. Place in the oven for 25 mins, then turn the wings to be skin side up and roast for another 25 mins. Whilst cooking make the sauce.
- In a large pan, gently soften the onions and garlic until starting to golden. Add the coriander seeds, chilli powder, sugar, cinnamon, cloves to the onions and cook for a minute.
- Add the cocoa powder, peanut butter, chicken stock, tomatoes and raisins, simmer for 20 mins until reduced.
- When the wings are cooked through, add to the sauce to coat. Serve with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Save this article to Pinterest, pin the below image!