The last couple of Valentines Day I’ve been spending my days with a special man. Of course, I’m talking of Ryan Gosling and by spend I mean make slightly creepy cupcakes as an ode to the beautiful man. The first year it was the Blue Valentine Velvet Cupcakes and last year Ryan Gosling Face Cupcakes. This year I was slightly struggling with the theme of cupcakes to make this year. Being a Canadian, I give you the Ryan Gosling Maple Syrup and Bacon Cupcakes!! Don’t be scared of the bacon. Embrace it like a meaty booster to your sweet bakes. Happy Valentines to all you losers!
- – 225g plain flour
- – 2 tsp baking powder
- – ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- – 1 pinch of salt
- – 100g very soft unsalted butter
- – 100g soft light brown sugar
- – 2 large free range eggs
- – 75 ml plain yoghurt
- – 75 ml maple syrup
- – 6 rashers of streaky bacon, cooked and crumbled
- – 75g pecans, chopped
- Frosting –
- – 125g very soft butter
- – 300g icing sugar
- – 100 ml maple syrup
- – a splash of milk, optional
- Decorating –
- – 6 rashers of streaky bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and line a 12-cup tin with paper cases.Next fry the bacon rashers until crisp. Remove to a plate lined with kitchen paper and allow to cool. Once cool, crumble them to resemble sprinkles. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar, using a freestanding mixer until fluffy. Then beat in one egg, followed by half the dry ingredients, mixing well before adding the second egg and the remaining dry ingredients. Again, mix well, and then add the yoghurt and maple syrup, beating and folding to give a smooth batter. Fold in half the cooked bacon and chopped pecans,
- Divide the mixture among the cupcake cases and bake in the oven for around 20 minutes until a case tester comes out clean. Completely cool.
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter until fluffy, beat in the maple syrup and slowly add the icing sugar until you get a pillow of frosting.
- Once the cupcakes are completely cool, top with the buttercream, using the back of a spoon to make a spiky effect, and adorn with your bacon sprinkles. Hand feeding to a tea towel with the face of a male celebrity.
I’m sure my cousin thought this was an appropriate use of a Christmas present tea towel that she got me…..
Happy Valentines Everyone xxx
Save this article to Pinterest, pin the below image!