I’m a big kid. I mean I’m 26 nearly 27 and still will watch Disney films over something hard hitting. I’m terrible with money. Still, have a soft spot in my heart for any fancy dress/costumes based parties. And I’m like a teenager when getting out of bed in the morning. And when it comes to food, yeah sure I like refined dishes and flouncy restaurants but potato waffles and fairy cakes still make me very happy. There was a drink when growing up that was a family favourite, UM BONGO!! In fact, I once made my best friend laugh so much at lunchtime at school, I made Um Bongo come out of her nose. Classy.
How do you make a beloved childhood drink into something classy for adults?? Make it into truffles of course! (But rolled in popping candy because you need some sparkle!)
I used some peach and pineapple freeze-dried powder from the awesome Sous Chef to boost the tropical notes in the ganache as well as in the coating for the truffles.
Disposable food gloves are fantastic for truffle rolling and make clean up so much easier and without leaving paw prints all over the kitchen!
Um Bongo Truffles
- 250 g Dark Chocolate Drops
- 150 ml Double Cream
- 100 ml Um Bongo Tropical Juice
- 50 g Peach Freeze-dried Powder
- 50 g Pineapple Freeze-dried Powder
- 30 g Peach Freeze-dried Powder
- 80 g Popping Candy
- 30 g Pineapple Freeze-dried Powder
- In a medium saucepan, mix the cream, Um Bongo and freeze-dried powders. The mixture may be thick but as the cream heats the mixture will melt down. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 minute. Cool slightly.
- Pour the warm cream mixture over the chocolate drops in a bowl. Leave to sit for 1 minute then stir until the mixture is nice and smooth. Cover and chill for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Mix the extra freeze dried fruit powders and popping candy into a bowl. Wearing food gloves, take a walnut size or slightly bigger amount of the ganache, roll and then roll into the popping candy mixture. Place on parchment to set
- Enjoy as soon as you finish as the moisture from the ganache will activate the popping candy.