Having been surround by all the delicious cheese at The Bristol Cheesemonger, I needed to share my ‘recipe’ for the Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
This isn’t a recipe as such more of an instruction of assembling delicious ingredients, applying heat to get yummy golden oozy cheesy results. It’s a mixture of classy and trashy ingredients and there’s no shame in that. The classy comes from the super sexy Truffler, flecked with Italian black truffles and added black truflle oil. Experiment with your favourite cheese combinations, condiments and pickles to find your favourite blend. Below is my personal favourite combinations and my Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
Ingredients for one sandwich
– 2 thick slices of white bread (I’ve used fig and walnut bread and sourdough, which is great, but you want a slightly trashy element to the sandwich)
– Salted Butter, softened (enough to spread on both sides of both pieces of bread, plus a little extra)
– Dijon Mustard (enough to spread on one side of bread)
– 50g Montgomery Cheddar (a good strong mature cheddar is needed)
– 50g Truffler Cheese (or more cheddar and a dash of black truffle oil)
– Hot Sauce (I like it to dunk in and to cut through the richness of the cheeses)
1. Butter both sides of each slice of bread, spread the Dijon mustard as thickly as you want on one side of the buttered bread.
2. Heat a frying pan over a medium heat, with a small knob of butter. Place the mustard bread slice down in the pan, butter side down. Place the cheese on the bread in the pan and lower the heat. Don’t rush this, allow the heat to melt the cheese, it will start looking sweaty, then look less solid, translucent then melting.
3. When the cheese has melted, drizzle the truffle oil if using, then top with the second slice of bread. Using a big spatula, check if the underside is golden, if not add a little more butter and increase the heat.
4. When a golden brown base, flip over the whole sandwich and toast the other side. Continue cooking until that side is also golden brown and crisp.
5. Serve with lashing of hot sauce of choice.