(Warning for all male readers you may want to skip ahead to the recipe for this post)
Ryan Gosling. Dammmmmmmnnnnnn. Again Ryan Gosling. Dammmmmmmmnnnn. What’s not to love about this man. Seriously. Dammmmmmnnnn. Can’t lie I’ve spent hours looking at his ‘Hey Girl’ memes and more hours just staring at his face.
As most girls I’ve cried over The Notebook, laughed at Crazy, Stupid, Love and held my breath throughout Drive. Also fallen more in love with him in Lars and the Real Girl.
This Valentines Day, I am single and would like to say I’m not an overly bitter single at the sight of the decorations in the shops, the menus for two and soppy love songs on the radio, but to keep the bitterness in check there will be cake. Oh there will be so much cake.
So as an ode to the man I wish I was spending my Valentines Day with (yes after finishing this post, I’m checking myself into a psychiatric ward for being delusional), I made Blue (Velvet) Valentines Cupcakes. As many blogs are going for Red Velvet Cupcakes to celebrate this holiday, I’m going blue and I’ll be watching Blue Valentine again. It’s a bittersweet film about a couple falling in love and the struggles along the way. And Ryan Gosling sings. Swoon.
I didn’t eat all 12 of these cupcakes myself. A lot of them may of vanished and not many made it to work the next day…ahem
This wasn’t made by me but it’s how I wanted the evening to go…
‘ I feel like men are more romantic than women. When we get married we marry, like, one girl, ’cause we’re resistant the whole way until we meet one girl and we think I’d be an idiot if I didn’t marry this girl she’s so great. But it seems like girls get to a place where they just kinda pick the best option… ‘Oh he’s got a good job.’ I mean they spend their whole life looking for Prince Charming and then they marry the guy who’s got a good job and is gonna stick around.’ (Blue Valentine)
Ryan Gosling’s Blue Valentines Cupcakes
Makes 12 to share amongst your single friends or a treat to yourself
– 350g plain flour
– 1 tsp cocoa powder
– 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
– 1 ½ tsp baking powder
– 350g caster sugar
– 350g unsalted butter
– 200ml sour cream
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 2 free range eggs
– blue food colouring
Cream Cheese Frosting
– 100g unsalted butter
– 200g cream cheese
– 500g icing sugar
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– edible glitter or sprinkles
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Line a muffin tin with flouncy cases. In a bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, bicar of soda and baking powder.
2. Add the sugar, butter and sour cream.Mix well until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
3. Stir together the vanilla and eggs, add bit by bit to the flour mixture, slowly so it doesn’t curdle. Stir in the colouring until a lovely shade of blue.
4. Pour the mixture into the awaiting cases two-thirds full. Bake for 20 minutes. Leave to cool.
5. To make the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Slowly beat in the icing sugar so you don’t cover yourself in the sugar and inhale the stuff. Add the vanilla extract and beat until smooth.
6. Spoon the frosting into a piping bag fixed with a plain nozzle and pile the frosting on top of the cooled cakes. Sprinkle with edible glitter or sprinkles.
7. Curl up in bed with a couple of cupcakes and Ryan – his film’s of course….
Save this article to Pinterest, pin the below image!