I love my bed and there are days when I could happily just be a dorm mouse and stay snuggled up in my duvet. Getting me out of my bed can be an endurance test for friends and family, but if someone was to tempt me out of bed by offering me one of these warm from the oven pistachio frangipane croissants then I think I would be out of my bed in a flash asking for a second one!
Now I was a tad lazy when it came to my croissant dough, in fact, I bought it ready rolled and in a can. But if you are feeling the challenge and have some more time on your hands you can give it a go from scratch, mine turned out great though!
- -350g croissant dough- homemade or shop bought
- -75g salted butter
- -75g soft brown sugar
- – 2 large free range eggs
- – 50g pistachio nuts, blitzed to a powder
- – 75g ground almonds
- – 15g plain flour
- – 1tsp pistachio extract (if you can get some)
- – 25g pistachios, chopped roughly
- Oven to 180C and roll the dough to 5mm thickness, cutting 6 triangles out of the dough. Put to one side.
- In a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar until creamy and light. Beat in the eggs one at a time before mixing in the ground nuts, flour and extract until a paste. Transfer the mixer to a piping bag.
- Snip the tip of the piping bag if using a disposable one or use a wide plain nozzle. At the edge of the dough opposite the point if the triangle, 1 cm from the edge pipe a bar of the mixture. Fold the centimetre without the mixture over and continue to roll the dough, tucking the point under the formed croissant and pinching the two ends together.
- Place on a parchment lined tray, 5 cm apart from the other croissants. Pipe another line of the mixture on top of the formed croissants and press some of the chopped pistachios on top.
- Bake the croissants for 15-20 mins until golden brown and no raw batter is visible.
- Enjoy in or out of your bed!